The Kings Head public house, Old Road, Llandudno is renowned as the town’s oldest inn. It was the centre point of the old Llandudno village and played an important role in the development of the town.
Built in the late 1700’s, the inn was in existence well before Llandudno was established as a fashionable watering place. In fact it was the result of a conversation over a meal here that plans for the new resort of Llandudno were commissioned by Lord Mostyn, owner of the estate upon which most of town stands.
These plans came from the architect Owen Williams who had visited Llandudno in 1846, when during a meeting of local copper mine share holders at The King’s Head, it was agreed by all present that Llandudno was ripe for development as a holiday resort.
Three years later, in 1849, another person with a great influence on the history of the town stayed at the inn. This was the author of the “Tourist Guide to Llandudno” (published anonymously, but believed to be John Williams of Bodafon, land agent to the Mostyn estate).
Whilst the writer was in this locality his quarters were at The King’s Head. Kept by Mr. William Owen it is but a small inn though it affords all the solid comforts usually required by a domesticated family, he is called the ‘King’ and his delight is in suggesting, guiding, and directing his ‘subjects’ to objects of interest; but he never dictates. He possesses a fund of local information, and is very communicative. His table, for quality and quantity, is usually in keeping with his dignity; and the tax, which he levies, is so moderate, that his subjects pay it unhesitatingly, being satisfied that they have received value, thereby doing away with the necessity of being obliged to employ a tax collector, a being so obnoxious to the community in general. Long may he reign!